Wednesday, June 08, 2005

rising vegetable prices in Kazakhstan

Many merchants in the past have come from Uzbekistan and Kyrgyzstan to hawk their wares on the Kazakhstan market, and these wares include succulent vegetables and fruits grown in their warmer climates. Now many Central Asian borders are closed (read the news, do a search for "Kyrgyzstan border"), these imports are now stuck in bordering countries just like all the other nationals. Some people can't even return to their homes because the border closed. Now the price of vegetables has risen, tomatos especially, and there seems nothing to be done. I was talking with Olga and Bakhyt two staff members here in Almaty, about this, and Olga commented that even potatos are expensive, and how could that be, since potatos are grown in Kazakhstan. It simple really, when you think about it, I told her. With the price of vegetables rising, the normal Kazakhstani family can no longer afford to eat, this results in more vodka consumption (because when they can't eat, they drink), and vodka of course, comes from potatos. She laughed; I don't know if it was because she thought I was trying to be funny, or because it was true.

2 Comments:

At 6/09/2005 09:18:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greetings Dan! I shall tell to you on a secret, there is such rule if to drink vodka not so will want to eat;). And in general sincerely the person not so experiences concerning shortage of meal.
Because of introduction казакстан entrance under passports for travel abroad, there were many problems in Russia, it is a lot of students of trainees in Tomsk cannot go in time home on a vacation. It is necessary for them to make out passports for travel abroad, and this business long a minimum 1 month: (.

 
At 6/10/2005 03:37:00 AM, Blogger Danigral said...

Yes, Phil. I will enjoy it greatly. The beer here, to be frank, sucks, although I probably have pampered taste-buds. And music...music, I could use some more of that. I'm really looking forward to Coldplay's new album (which is out now, I think). I will enjoy drinking beer and listening to music with your fiancee. You can be there, too, I guess. Can't wait.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home