Friday, April 28, 2006

cinderella, a one-act play

This play was an assignment given to my 10 grade students. They were to paraphrase dialogue from the Grimm fairy tale, and when necessary, create their own dialogue based on the characters. They were divided into groups and given different scenes. The best is probably the scene between the Fairy and Cinderella. One scene was written by a boy - can you guess which one?

Stepmother: Good day, my forgotten slob!
Cinderella: Good day, stepmother.
Stepmother: You must to sweep yard and porch and water flowers, and chop little sticks.
Cinderella: Yes, stepmother.
Stepmother: Why don't you anything? Did you hear me?
Cinderella: I am rest. I just now cleaned the floor.
Stepmother: Why should I feed you then?

Stepmother: Girls, today there will a ball. It's necessary to look nice. Prince will to select fiancee.
Stepsister 1: In order for to look beautiful, so that Prince will like us, we must to get new attire.
Stepmother: Cinderella sewed new dresses for you.
Stepsister 1: I'll charm Prince!
Stepsister 2: No, I'll do it!
Stepmother: Girls, don't quarrel. One of you may become his wife.
Stepsister 2: We all do for that.

Cat: Your stepsisters are lazy, clumsy, and spoiled rotten. You are beautiful and look nice.
Cinderella: They aren't that bad.
Cat: Will you go to the ball?
Cinderella: I would love to go to the ball, but I don't have anything to wear.
Cat: Would you like to dance with the Prince?
Cinderella: Yes, of course. (she starts to cry)
Fairy: Good afternoon, Cinderella. Why are you afraid?
Cinderella: Dear Fairy, I can't go to the ball, because I have no good dress, I have only rags and hand-me-downs.
Fairy: Don't worry. I'll give you dress and slippers.
Cinderella: Oh dear Fairy, thank you!
Fairy: But remember, at twelve, you must be back, because the spell will end.
Cinderella: I will remember.
Fairy: Hurry Cinderella! You will to be late in the ball. (Cinderella goes to the ball)

Prince: What is your name?
Cinderella: My name is Cinderella?
Prince: I am Prince of Wales. Why is you called Cinderella?
Cinderella: I work much at home by cinders stove.
Prince: May I ask you to dance?
Cinderella: Yes, of course! (They dance)
Prince: You are very sexy and beautiful.
Cinderella: Thank you!
Prince: I love you! (Cinderella is embarassed) Will you be my wife?
(The bell rings)
Cinderella: Oh no! (she runs home)

Minister: May I come in?
Stepmother: Of course. Come in.
Minister: We come from the Prince. We have slipper to try on the foot of all girls.
Stepmother: These are my daughters. Slipper will fit them. (He tries them on)
Minister: It doesn't fit them, but it fits Cinderella.
Stepmother: Tell the Prince he must marry one of my daughters. Cinderella is ugly!
Fairy: (appears) Who will marry one your lazy daughters! You must to teach them to be kind, respect people, and work hard. And you! You are mean and harmful to Cinderella!
Stepmother: I'm sorry! I try offend not Cinderella.
Fairy: Cinderella will be so happy!

Cat: Hello Cinderella.
Cinderella: Hello, Cat.
Cat: The Prince loves and admires you. Do you love the Prince?
Cinderella: Yes.
Cat: You will live happily ever after!
Prince: I still love you. Will you be my wife?
Cinderella: Yes, of course!

1 Comments:

At 5/06/2006 02:11:00 AM, Blogger Danigral said...

Thanks, maybe I can give a go at teaching you Russian...Repeat after me: "Menya zavoot Rebekah. Oo menya yest klasnee braht." That will work for a while. Tell everyone that. I'll teach you more later. I want to learn Czech now. They are really similar and I can visit our long lost relatives in Prague and get free food. (c: Well, we're the one's that are lost probably.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home